[yocto] YP Profiling and Tracing Manual available

Tom Zanussi tom.zanussi at intel.com
Mon Jan 21 12:56:26 PST 2013

On Mon, 2013-01-21 at 15:17 -0500, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> On Mon, 21 Jan 2013, Rifenbark, Scott M wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > There is a new YP-style manual called "Yocto Project Profiling and
> > Tracing Manual" available at
> > http://www.yoctoproject.org/docs/1.4/profile-manual/profile-manual.html.
> > While this manual is in YP-form, it has not undergone any edits from
> > its original at
> > https://wiki.yoctoproject.org/wiki/Tracing_and_Profiling.
>
>   will all of this work with the QEMU images?

Some of it will, some of it won't.  Things that require real hardware
PMU support won't since qemu doesn't have complete hardware emulation
for some of this stuff.  I don't remember offhand what exactly, and I
did run unto that myself when writing this, which is why the examples
use real hardware.

For things that obviously don't need hardware support, go ahead and use
qemu but when in doubt, or if something doesn't work as expected assume
that real hardware should be used...

Tom