[yocto] Busybox still old version: Still looking for a clear understanding of an old mystery.

Brian Smucker bds at bsmucker.eu.org
Tue Jan 15 13:26:49 PST 2013

Hello All,

I'm a relative newbie to yocto/oe, but have got a ways down the road to
understanding, but the gaps in my understanding cause me great grief at
times.

I think this probably is a simple question, but somehow I'm doing
something wrong.

I recompile busybox with a new config: bitbake -c menuconfig busybox
I make busybox: bitbake busybox
bitbake gets compiled.

Then I do a bitbake core-image-minimal.  It does the do_rootfs action
and makes a new image.
But the busybox is not the newly-compiled one, it is old.
I expect the new version.
Maybe my expectations are wrong.  But I've struggled with this and
similar scenarios time and time again, sometimes hitting on a
combination of things that work or by selectively deleting a directory
or so or by bitbake -c cleansstate -f on one target or another.

But it's always been kind of a mystery to me how to recompile a
particular target, which then succeeds, and subsequently make sure that
target is included in the image target (core-image-minimal). I've
succeeded in a hit-or-miss way at times, but I would love to know a
clear series of steps that will work definitively.

I know I can delete the entire tmp directory, but that seems far too
extreme, not to mention slow to recover from.

Can someone help me?

I'm using Danny.

Thanks,
Brian