[yocto] Build external module against Yocto kernel

Patrick Turley PatrickTurley at gamestop.com
Tue Jan 15 10:26:00 PST 2013

On Jan 15, 2013, at 12:00 PM, Bruce Ashfield <bruce.ashfield at windriver.com>
 wrote:

> On 13-01-15 12:54 PM, Patrick Turley wrote:
>> Thank you for directing me toward that documentation. As it happens, I
>> have already read that, and it doesn't apply.
>
> There are ways to do this, your requirement is the same as the on-target
> module building requirement. Have enough of the kernel source packaged
> to build modules on the target, after it has booted.

Well, I still want to cross-compile them, but I see your point.

> The trick is packaging things properly to not get binary/target elements
> in the SDK/native packages, and to package just enough for the build. But
> the issues have been explored and there was a plan. I know that Darren
> (cc'd) has looked into this more than I have recently.
>
> I can't locate the bugzilla entries on this at the moment, but I recall
> that some parts were still missing, but may be addressed in yocto 1.4,
> when I find the bug numbers, I'll have a better idea.

As I expected, someone else has already thought about this. This isn't the most common approach so it makes sense that it's been a lower priority. The good news for me is that I know I'm not missing something, so I can stop looking for it.