[yocto] kernel manual seems to make no mention of "defconfig"

Darren Hart dvhart at linux.intel.com
Mon Jan 7 08:25:01 PST 2013

> On Sun, 23 Dec 2012, Bruce Ashfield wrote:
>

>> On Sun, Dec 23, 2012 at 11:10 PM, Bruce Ashfield <bruce.ashfield at gmail.com> wrote:
>>

>>       On Sun, Dec 23, 2012 at 12:26 PM, Robert P. J. Day <rpjday at crashcourse.ca> wrote:
>>
>>               poking around kern-tools for purpose of documenting some stuff and
>>             ran across this in "updateme":
>>
>>             split_command_line_objects() {
>>                     command_line_values=$@
>>
>>                     for v in $command_line_values; do
>>                         v_base=`basename $v`
>>                         case $v_base in
>>                             *.scc) migrate_feature $v
>>                                 ;;
>>                             *.cfg) migrate_cfg $v
>>                                 ;;
>>                             *.patch|*.diff) migrate_patch $v
>>                                 ;;
>>                             defconfig) migrate_cfg $v;;
>>                             *) ;;
>>                         esac
>>                     done
>>             }
>>
>>               AFAICT, there is no mention of a possible "defconfig" entry anywhere
>>             in the current yocto kernel manual.
>>

>> You won't find it there because it isn't specific to the kern-tools,
>> what you see there is a small wrapper on top of the kernel.bbclass
>> defconfig handling, with the same end result. So standard
>> yocto/oe-core docs apply here.
>>
>> I also forgot to mention that Darren did cover defconfigs in the
>> yocto kernel  docs that were put together for the 1.4 release (I
>> think they were posted here), so there's better / additional
>> coverage upcoming!
>
>   ah, i will go back and check those out, thanks.  just trying to
> catch up on several days of not reading the list.

They are in the process of being edited by our tech writer as well as
being converted from ascii to docbook. You can see the current state of
them here:

http://www.yoctoproject.org/docs/hart/kernel-dev/kernel-dev.html

See Section 2.2.2 and the sections that follow.

Keep in mind these are being actively worked on, so there are some rough
edges we're working through still.

Thanks,

Darren

> rday

Darren Hart
Intel Open Source Technology Center
Yocto Project - Technical Lead - Linux Kernel