[yocto] configuration management on remote target

Ilya Dmitrichenko errordeveloper at gmail.com
Thu Jan 3 15:43:43 PST 2013

Hi,

As my day job mostly involves configuring servers using puppet
configuration management system, I had been thinking of what sort of tool
would be best to use on an embedded devices where on some occasions one
would want to update a couple of config files and scripts. Perhaps this can
be limited just to the `/etc` direcotry...

So the best I could come up with so far is to implement it as cron job that
would pull a git repository, perhaps it would also run a script (git hook)
that would restart a daemon or do something of that kind.

I suppose that some people will suggest to just use packages, but I'm not
very keen on maintaining a package repository on some sever out in the
internet that would be one big single point of failure. Although, perhaps,
on some occasion, this may be the only way.
Another reason why I wouldn't like to use git to manage configuration, as
that way all configs are going to be at hand from one directory tree, which
is, IMO, much quicker to manage and validate rather then a recipes spread
across subdirectories.

Firstly, I'd appreciate any feedback on this!

And I do have a few rather more specific questions ;)

a) How often OE users do not implement any system updates over the wire in
their products, although the product is able to access the internet?

b) Has anyone here use the configuration tools like puppet, chef or
cfendgine and understands the benefits?

c) Has anyone succeeded building git without having to include perl on the
target? I'd probably get ways with just a subset of git commands.
I have also had a look at libgit2, but not sure if I'd be able to implement
something as robust as git itself with libgit2...

Ilya