[yocto] Magic kernel config option.

Bruce Ashfield bruce.ashfield at windriver.com
Wed Jan 2 10:06:36 PST 2013

On 12-12-24 02:59 PM, Brian Smucker wrote:
> Hi,

Catching up on email from the holidays. Did you ever get an answer
to this ?

> I'm a yocto mostly-newbie, trying to find my way.  I have a custom layer
> that I am using to build a kernel. The layer right now consists of a few
> kernel patches and a defconfig and is based on the standard kernel
> otherwise.
>
> When I do a diff on my defconfig and the bitbake generated .config, they
> are quite similar, but the CONFIG_UNION_FS=y line magically shows up.
> I'm wondering where it comes from and how to disable it.

CONFIG_UNION_FS is being enabled by the standard kernel (and all
kernels that inherit it). Since you are based on that kernel, you
get the option enabled.

> I can do a bitbake -c menuconfig virtual/kernel and eliminate that
> option giving me the kernel I want, but those changes are gone after a
> bitbake -c cleansstate ...

Have you tried putting

# CONFIG_UNION_FS is not set

in your defconfig ? That should disable it.

Bruce