[yocto] dev manual is confusing as to whether a layer *must* be named "meta-..."

Rudolf Streif rstreif at linuxfoundation.org
Tue Jan 1 19:01:35 PST 2013

The meta- prefix for layers is purely customary convention and has been
adopted as best practice. There is no technical reason for it. The only
place where the name of a layer directory is referenced is in
bblayers.conf. Technically, you can give your layer any name you want to as
long as it is compliant with directory names of the filesystem.

:rjs

On Sun, Dec 30, 2012 at 8:10 AM, Robert P. J. Day <rpjday at crashcourse.ca>wrote:

> On Sun, 30 Dec 2012, Bill Traynor wrote:
>

> > On Sun, Dec 30, 2012 at 4:29 AM, Robert P. J. Day <rpjday at crashcourse.ca>
> wrote:
> >
> >         section 5.1.1 of dev manual:
> >
> >       "Folders that are layers begin with the string meta."
> >
> >         section 5.1.2, immediately afterwards:
> >
> >       "Traditionally, prepend the name of the folder with the string
> meta."
> >
> >         those two statements are somewhat contradictory.
> >

> > The first statement is in a paragraph describing the identification
> > of a layer within the Source directory, i.e. its name begins with
> > "meta".
> >
> > The second statement is describing the naming of the folder that
> > will contain a new layer, i.e. pre-pend the name with "meta".
> >
> > I'm not sure I see the contradiction here.  Can you explain?
>
>   the (as i see it) inconsistency is that it's not clear whether a
> layer name *must* begin with the prefix "meta-".  if one says that
> something happens "traditionally", that suggests it's not mandatory,
> simply a matter of custom.
>
>   i'd prefer that that section was explicit.  you can never go wrong
> being explicit. :-)
>
> rday

> Robert P. J. Day                                 Ottawa, Ontario, CANADA
>                         http://crashcourse.ca

> LinkedIn:                               http://ca.linkedin.com/in/rpjday

*Rudolf J. Streif*
Director of Embedded Solutions
The Linux Foundation

rudolf.streif at linux.com
Phone: +1.619.631.5383
Skype: rudolfstreif
PGP: RSA 2048/2048 D6E7D28B

Linux Foundation Events Schedule:  events.linuxfoundation.org