[yocto] discussion of layers in dev manual uses a *really* bad example

Scott Garman scott.a.garman at intel.com
Tue Jan 1 10:58:06 PST 2013

>    more pedantry -- dev manual, section 5.1.2 talks about creating a
> new layer and recommends using the meta-yocto layer.conf as a starting
> point, which contains:
>
>       # We have a conf and classes directory, add to BBPATH
>       BBPATH := "${LAYERDIR}:${BBPATH}"
>
>    the problem is that almost every other layer *appends* LAYERDIR to
> BBPATH, not the other way around, so that example is spectacularly
> unrepresentative.  (i'm unaware of any other layer that sets BBPATH in
> that order, and i recall tom zanussi (?) explaining once why that
> was.)
>
>    perhaps a different example, and a short explanation about why the
> meta-yocto layer is the exception here?

ScottR:

As some background on this issue, please take a look at this thread from
almost exactly a month ago:

https://lists.yoctoproject.org/pipermail/yocto/2012-December/013041.html

https://lists.yoctoproject.org/pipermail/yocto/2012-December/013057.html

I agree that we shouldn't recommend using the meta-yocto layer.conf as a
starting point, due to the BBPATH append ordering difference.

And maybe a note about why we order the BBPATH append as we do in
meta-yocto (see Thomas' concise explanation in the second link above)
would be appropriate.

Scott

--
Scott Garman