[yocto] Newbie trying to get started

Paul D. DeRocco pderocco at ix.netcom.com
Thu Feb 28 22:20:20 PST 2013

> From: McClintock Matthew-B29882
>
> Not sure about the Intel BSPs but they may contain just their layer
> and/or poky + meta-intel. It does not really matter where meta-intel
> lives on your file system though. It can be referenced directly in
> your 'conf/bblayers.conf' file in your build folder.
>
> > Then, the directions say to edit bblayers.conf, and
> possibly local.conf. The
> > only place I find these files are in my yocto/build/conf
> directory, but I
> > would think that doing a build for a different machine
> would involve setting
> > up a different build directory, e.g., yocto/buildatom. Is
> that correct? But
> > isn't the build directory set up by running the
> oe-init-build-env script,
> > which comes afterwards in the instructions?
>
> Different build folders are not an explicit requirement for different
> MACHINES (or in some cases unless there are some conflicts that are
> unknown diferrent distros - don't go out of your way to do this
> though). In fact if two MACHINES are the same ARCH you can reuse
> components between and save a lot of build time. That or use
> sstate-cache between two build folders which won't be quite as fast
> but almost...
>
> > Also, those instructions imply that I should run that script in the
> > yocto/poky directory, since that's where the script is
> located, but the
> > meta-intel is "upstairs" from that, which seems odd.
>
> Should not matter, you add meta-intel to 'conf/bblayers/conf' later.
> Unless this is possibly done for you via script - but I don't think
> any scripts in poky do this for you. Either way you can checkup on
> things layer to make sure the require layers are included.
>
> > I'm confused by all this, but more to the point, I'm afraid
> of doing the
> > wrong thing, and clobbering the Gumstix stuff, which took a
> day and a half
> > to build. I expect the Atom build will also take a long
> time, but I don't
> > want to have to do it two more times.
>
> You are mixing gumstix and poky distros in one build folder? That
> could work as mentioned above, but it might encounter issues. I don't
> think it's regularly tested though so YMMV. My suggest would be to
> share the sstate-cache between the two build environments. So if one
> package has already been built it's reused (and the signatures match -
> which just means it's deemed compatible between machines)
>
> It's also quite likely you won't save much build time since gumstix
> and poky will be using different ARCHs and all the recipes will be
> rebuilt anyways. Again not really that familiar with gumstix so some
> statements above could be a bit off.

That's what I thought. You can't really share much of anything between a
Gumstix and an Atom, so I'm using a separate build tree.

But it's not working. The instructions tell me to set MACHINE to
"cedartrail" or "cedartrail-nopvr" in local.conf, so I chose the latter
since I'm doing a GUI-less system. And then it tells me to run "bitbake
core-image-sato" which seems strange, since "sato" refers to a desktop
manager or something graphical. After a lot of DEBUG output, I get the
following error message:

    ERROR:  OE-core's config sanity checker detected a potential
        misconfiguration.
        Either fix the cause of this error or at your own risk disable the
        checker (see sanity.conf).
        Following is the list of potential problems / advisories:
        Please set a valid MACHINE in your local.conf or environment

Also, I notice among the debug output, early on:

    DEBUG: CONF file 'conf/machine/cedartrail-nopvr.conf' not found

even though that file exists in poky/meta-intel.

Is the problem that I'm making the wrong image for a GUI-less system? Where
are targets like "core-image-sato" defined? I don't see any file of that
name, with a .bb or any other extension, other than a prebuilt image.

I get the feeling I'm missing something.

By the way, I'm using the poky tree that was downloaded as a result of my
Gumstix build, except for the meta-intel subdirectory. Is that wrong?

--

Ciao,               Paul D. DeRocco
Paul                mailto:pderocco at ix.netcom.com