[yocto] uboot.bin and rootfs but not uImage

Rudolf Streif rstreif at linuxfoundation.org
Thu Feb 28 12:31:39 PST 2013

Hi Satya,

You will first need a kernel recipe, let's call it linux-skidata.bb. It can
look like this:

DESCRIPTION = "Skidata Linux Kernel"
SECTION = "kernel"
LICENSE = "GPLv2"

LIC_FILES_CHKSUM = "file://COPYING;md5=d7810fab7487fb0aad327b76f1be7cd7"

PV = "3.2"

inherit kernel

FILESEXTRAPATHS_prepend := "${THISDIR}/${PN}:${THISDIR}/${PN}/patches:"

# GIT repository location
KSRC ?= "<path to>/linux-skidata.git"

# Branch to check out
KBRANCH ?= "<branch>"

# Revision tag or AUTOREV
SRCREV ?= "${AUTOREV}"

SRC_URI = "git://${KSRC};protocol=file;branch=${KBRANCH};name=kernel \
   file://defconfig \
   "

S = "${WORKDIR}/git"

You will need to provide a defconfig file next to your recipe containing
the kernel configuration settings. Your kernel GIT repo may contain a
.config that is good for your hardware. In that case you do not need a
defconfig but is still a good practice and will allow you to easily change
the settings.

Then you need to adjust your machine configuration file:

PREFERRED_PROVIDER_virtual/kernel ?= "linux-skidata"
PREFERRED_VERSION_skidata ?= "3.2%"

That should do it.

:rjs

On Thu, Feb 28, 2013 at 11:21 AM, Satya Swaroop Damarla <
swaroop.damarla at gmail.com> wrote:

> Yes I got an error message when I was building the kernel...  Actuallly I
> have a kernel git given by the company.... I downloaded it and is in my
> work pc.. How can I tell the build system to use that kernel?
>

> On Thu, Feb 28, 2013 at 8:17 PM, Rudolf Streif <
> rstreif at linuxfoundation.org> wrote:
>
>> Satya,
>>
>> your machine configuration file looks ok as far as I can tell. Did you
>> get an error message when building the kernel? Did you try to build just
>> the kernel e.g. bitbake linux-yocto?
>>
>> :rjs
>>

>> On Mon, Feb 25, 2013 at 11:31 PM, Satya Swaroop Damarla <
>> swaroop.damarla at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Hello Guys... I think uImage is important but it is not being generated
>>> by the yocto project. It only generated the rootfs and uboot.bin. Is there
>>> any variable that has to be introduced in the machine.conf (in my case it
>>> is skidata-tamonten.conf)....
>>>
>>> Here is the configuration file
>>>
>>> #@TYPE: Machine
>>> #@NAME: skidata-tamonten machine
>>>
>>> PREFERRED_PROVIDER_virtual/xserver ?= "xserver-xorg"
>>>
>>> IMAGE_FEATURES += "package-management"
>>> EXTRA_IMAGEDEPENDS += " u-boot"
>>>
>>> # Uncomment the following line to enable the hard floating point abi.
>>> Note that
>>> # this breaks some binary libraries and 3D (neither of which ship with
>>> # meta-yocto). For maximum compatibility, leave this disabled.
>>> DEFAULTTUNE ?= "cortexa9t"
>>> include conf/machine/include/tune-cortexa9.inc
>>>
>>> IMAGE_FSTYPES += "tar.bz2 ext2"
>>>
>>> SERIAL_CONSOLE = "115200 ttyS0"
>>>
>>> PREFERRED_PROVIDER_virtual/kernel ?= "linux-yocto"
>>> PREFERRED_VERSION_linux-yocto ?= "3.2%"
>>>
>>> KERNEL_IMAGETYPE = " uImage"
>>>
>>> PREFERRED_VERSION_u-boot ?= "v2013.01.01%"
>>>
>>> UBOOT_MACHINE = "tec_config"
>>> UBOOT_ENTRYPOINT = "0x17000000"

rudolf.streif at linux.com
Phone: +1.619.631.5383