[yocto] Build Flavors help.

Jerrod Peach peachj at lexmark.com
Thu Feb 28 09:21:53 PST 2013

On Thu, Feb 28, 2013 at 11:35 AM, Khem Raj <raj.khem at gmail.com> wrote:

> > Essentially I want to be able to create one recipe for a given image,
> then during build feed the recipe flavor information to create a different
> image per flavor.
> > An example would be to be that I want to create 30 images each with its
> own splash screen, host name, IP etc, without having to create 30 different
> recipes.
> >

> another thing you could try is bundle all splash images into
> one package and _somehow_ use the right one when booting the image on
> a given device.

We have a similar problem at my company, and we have a similar solution,
but its subtle difference may wind up giving you what you want.  If we take
your splash screen example, we'll often store all our splash screens in one
location (a code repository), and then we'll pass in the flavor of the
product to the package, e.g. EXTRA_OECONF +=
"PRODUCT_NAME=${PRODUCT_NAME}", where ${PRODUCT_NAME} is defined in our
distro files.  (These are just configuration files under conf/distro in our
custom layer that inherit the poky distro and add product-specific data on
top of them.)  Each product will have one splash screen named after
$PRODUCT_NAME in the repository.  The right splash screen is selected by
having the generated Makefile install $PRODUCT_NAME's splash screen to a
generic location, perhaps /usr/share/splash/splash.png.  Then the thing
displaying the splash screen can just display whatever's there and get the
correct file for the product.  In this case, you'll need have as many
distro files as you have products and not (product specifc recipes) *
(number of products) different .bb files.