[yocto] Build Flavors help.

Tim O'Callaghan tocallaghan at meyn.com
Thu Feb 28 06:43:03 PST 2013

Hi all,

I've been digging through the documentation, and dipping into the recipes, but have not been able to come up with a definitive approach to managing what I call different build flavors. I am using the term flavor to distinguish it from the 'variant' term mentioned in the docs, at least not as I currently understand what BB thinks is a variant.

Essentially I want to be able to create one recipe for a given image, then during build feed the recipe flavor information to create a different image per flavor.
An example would be to be that I want to create 30 images each with its own splash screen, host name, IP etc, without having to create 30 different recipes.

The example I examined is code in the psplash recipe, which can create a different installable packages based on the SPLASH_IMAGES variable, which can then be mixed into an image recipe.

I can see how that method can be applied to create package flavors, but how would I go about image flavors? If I have to dig into the BB/Poky code, where should I start looking? I'm guessing the best approach is to build a helper class I can include in package and image recipes that I want to add flavor to?

Best regards,

Tim.