[yocto] bitbake: how to resolve a dependency to kernel-devicetree when building rootfs

Hans Beckérus hans.beckerus at gmail.com
Tue Feb 19 13:02:30 PST 2013

First of all, I am a total noob when it comes to bitbake, but I am
struggling and slowly getting there ( I think).
So, I am sorry if my questions seems stupid, but this one I just can
not seem to figure out on my own.
What I am trying to do is to build a custom ARM based rootfs image
using the ELDK toolchain that should include all the modules from my
kernel build. But the rootfs build stage fails! If I exclude the
kernel modules everything work just fine.

The bitbake error I get is

| Collected errors:
|  * satisfy_dependencies_for: Cannot satisfy the following
dependencies for kernel-modules:
|  *    kernel-devicetree *
|  * opkg_install_cmd: Cannot install package kernel-modules.

My simple rootfs.bb looks like this

require recipes-core/images/core-image-minimal.bb

# The list of packages used to build images.
IMAGE_INSTALL += "kernel-modules"

# Formats of root filesystem images that you want to have created.
IMAGE_FSTYPES = "jffs2"

The device tree blob was built successfully and is located in the
kernel deploy image folder.
I can see that I have the following files under the kernel work path

./packages-split/kernel-devicetree
./pkgdata/runtime/kernel-devicetree
./pkgdata/runtime-reverse/kernel-devicetree

Any advice on what I have missed?

Hans