[yocto] Fwd: Updated Yocto Hands-on Kernel Lab available

Trevor Woerner twoerner at gmail.com
Sun Feb 17 18:16:06 PST 2013

...sorry, I meant to CC the list too

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Trevor Woerner <twoerner at gmail.com>
Date: Sun, Feb 17, 2013 at 9:15 PM
Subject: Re: [yocto] Updated Yocto Hands-on Kernel Lab available
To: Tom Zanussi <tom.zanussi at intel.com>

Hi Tom,

I can see how the kernel *.bb files get pulled in due to the following
line in each lab's layer configuration (${LAYERDIR}/conf/layer.conf):

    BBFILES := "... ${LAYERDIR}/recipes-*/*/*.bb ..."

Since the *.bb files are located under
${LAYERDIR}/recipes-kernel/linux/<kernel>.bb this matched the above
pattern.

What I can't figure out is why, for example, in lab1 are the kernel
patch files located in

    ${LAYERDIR}/recipes-kernel/linux/linux

while the kernel patch files for lab2 are in

    ${LAYERDIR}/recipes-kernel/linux/files

Does bitbake find the patch files for lab1 in a subdirectory called
"linux" because the recipe's name is linux_3.0.18.bb? Because I don't
see anything in that particular recipe which would suggest it
(bitbake) should look there (linux). And when I go to lab2 and rename
the "files" directory to "linux-yocto" the build doesn't work, so this
behaviour would seem to discount the belief that a patch directory
name can take on the recipe name and be found.

Best regards,
    Trevor