[yocto] Building uio-pci-generic into core-image-minimal

David Mulder dmulder at lasx.com
Tue Feb 12 15:47:20 PST 2013

I need to use the uio-pci-generic kernel module, but I don't know how to make it available in my image.

Yocto 1.3, core-image-minimal, did 'bitbake linux-yocto -c menuconfig' and added "Generic driver for PCI 2.3". It took a while to bitbake core-image-minimal after that change, and I saw uio-pci-generic.o, so I assume it rebuilt the kernel and built the module, but I don't see any traces of the module in my image ('find / -name *uio*', /sys/class/uio or /sys/bus/pci/drivers/uio-pci-generic).

I added uio and uio-pci-generic to a recipe's RDEPENDS, but it can't find a provider. I added them to IMAGE_FEATURES in local.conf, but that didn't seem to do anything. I set 'module_autoload_uio = "uio"' in local.conf, which also seemed to do nothing. Same for setting it in linux-yocto_3.4.bbappend (some patches indicate that it used to be set in that file).  I don't know what else to try.

What might I be missing?  Where could I look to see if that module has been built and copied to my image?

Thanks!