[yocto] Initramfs and systemd problems

Ross Burton ross.burton at intel.com
Tue Feb 12 01:35:36 PST 2013

On Tuesday, 12 February 2013 at 09:14, Jukka Rissanen wrote:
> I am building a small network appliance for tethering purposes.
> I do not need graphics so I removed X support, also added
> systemd from meta-ivi and upgraded connman into latest
> 1.11 version, and also did some minor tweaks here and there.
>
> In beagleboard, my setup works just fine.
> In Intel NUC device, the system refuses to boot properly.
> The reason is the init-live.sh (http://init-live.sh) script in initramfs image,
> it expects the USB stick to be present in /media/xxx directory.
>
> Because the base system uses systemd, the initramfs is
> also using systemd but there is some things missing and
> system will not automount the USB stick into /media.
>
> Is there any possibility to avoid using systemd in initramfs
> i.e., use the udev package only, or is the only option to
> tweak systemd setup in initramfs? Or any other suggestion
> how to fix this?

I'd noticed that systemd's udev is failing to live-boot too in oe-core master (which now has integrated systemd).

I don't think its possible to build a second udev for the initramfs, and this is clearly a bug so we should figure out why it doesn't work.  Do you have any hints in your debugging as to what is broken?

Ross