[yocto] Danny: default base_do_compile but no default base_do_install

Frans Meulenbroeks fransmeulenbroeks at gmail.com
Fri Feb 8 06:24:28 PST 2013

Hi!

Apologies upfront if this is the wrong list. I'm not always sure when
things should go to the yocto list and when to oe-core.

Anyway, my question/issue with danny.

In base.bbclass I see a default base_do_compile that reads:

base_do_compile() {
    if [ -e Makefile -o -e makefile -o -e GNUmakefile ]; then
        oe_runmake || die "make failed"
    else
        bbnote "nothing to compile"
    fi
}

There is also a default base_do_install() that is empty.

Wouldn't it be more logical if the base_do_install would read:

base_do_install() {
    if [ -e Makefile -o -e makefile -o -e GNUmakefile ]; then
        oe_runmake install || die "make failed"
    else
        bbnote "nothing to install"
    fi
}

Currently people using only base, need to add a do_install to their recipe
but no do_compile (which is somewhat odd; if there is a makefile it seems
logical to use it for install too).

Appreciate your feedback, if needed i can file a bug report and/or submit a
patch

Frans