[yocto] pulseaudio madness

Gary Thomas gary at mlbassoc.com
Wed Feb 6 14:43:33 PST 2013

On 2013-02-06 06:50, Gary Thomas wrote:
> On 2013-02-05 06:52, Burton, Ross wrote:
>> Hi Gary,
>>
>> On 5 February 2013 12:44, Gary Thomas <gary at mlbassoc.com> wrote:
>>> I have a multi-media application/system (built with Poky/Yocto of course)
>>> that is currently using ALSA for the sound.  This works great but now
>>> I'd like to be able to share some of the sound resources, in particular
>>> the audio output (speakers).  To satisfy this, I looked at pulseaudio,
>>> but I'm overwhelmed by the package choices (there are 120 packages),
>>> not to mention what to do about configuration.
>>>
>>> I don't see any examples (images, etc) that use pulseaudio.
>>>
>>> Does anyone have any recommendations on what I might need to install,
>>> how to configure it, etc, to take over from my simple ALSA setup?
>>
>> The top tip is the PulseAudio documentation on the web site, that
>> lists all the plugins and what they do.  The pulseaudio-server package
>> depends on all of the important plugins, so that gives you a working
>> PA setup once you've started it.
>>
>> You might want to have a look at Guacamayo's use of PA, that uses it
>> and will automatically switch output when new speakers are plugged in
>> too.    https://github.com/Guacamayo
>
> Thanks, that helped.  I've built Guacamayo for my RaspberryPi and
> can see how it's set up.

That said, I've not had much luck actually getting anything out of the
audio :-(  I tried the guacamayo-image-mex-raspberrypi.rpi-sdimg which
came up and gave me a nice display but it wasn't obvious how to import
media and/or make it play.  I tried copying some files manually to the
SD card, but they wouldn't play either.

Then I tried guacamayo-image-audioplayer-raspberrypi.rpi-sdimg and it
was even less intuitive.

Can you give me some guidance?  All I'd like to do is play a simple
(.wav) file on y RaspberryPi using pulseaudio.

Thanks