[yocto] Build external module against Yocto kernel

Bruce Ashfield bruce.ashfield at windriver.com
Fri Feb 1 20:51:57 PST 2013

On 13-02-01 11:35 PM, Brian Lloyd wrote:
> While, I'm not an expert, I would like to point out:
> http://kernel.org/doc/index-old.html (the new index references this but
> the information isn't on the new index page directly).
>
> One thing mentioned is that a make distclean is required for reasonable
> results between any run with different architectures. So you can't run a
> make scripts to get scripts for the local system in a build directory
> configured for cross compiling for the device and expect it to work
> correctly.
>
> Also, about the config prompts: during dependency checking, the .config
> file is validated, and if it fails validation, make oldconfig is run, as
> it assumes the config was pulled from a previous kernel version. Since a
> .config file is ARCH specific, it will almost always be invalid when
> checked against a different architecture, and thus fire off a make
> oldconfig. This is why you get prompted to answer questions when you do
> "make scripts" and have a .config for another architecture.
>
> Also, I suspect you need to ensure the cross compiler is being called
> when necessary for the make scripts. It looks like the errors are from
> passing arm gcc parameters to an x86 gcc. You can try "make ARCH=arm
> CROSS_COMPILE=/???/" instead, where /???/ is the prefix to your arm
> cross compiler. The kernel build actually uses both cross and non-cross
> compilers during build so you have some support tools compiled to run
> natively and others that run on the end machine, so you don't want to
> override CXX and C++ to be the cross compiler.

We crossed while my email client was offline and I was typing up
a response. All of the above is definitely true, and what I had in
my rambling reply as well.

When building with the SDK, to avoid oldconfig AND get the build
infrastructure both CROSS_COMPILE and ARCH are required, just as bitbake
was providing during the original build.

The trick is to still generate modules that will work against the running
kernel .. but that's another story :)

Cheers,

Bruce