[yocto] FW: curious about ref manual, sec 6.1.11, oe-init-build-env-memres

Rudolf Streif rstreif at linuxfoundation.org
Wed Dec 11 17:01:07 PST 2013

I am picking up this thread since I have been mocking around with the
bitbake server.

The use of the oe-init-build-env-memresscript is

source oe-init-build-env-memres <portnumber> <buildenv>

The documentation suggests that you can omit the portnumber in which case
the script would use 12345. According to my tests with master [1] that is
apparently not the case. If you omit the portnumber such as

source oe-init-build-env-memres mybuildenv

 the script will create a build environment with the name build and then
tries to convert mybuildenv into a portnumber wich will most likely fail
unless you used an integer number for the name of your build environment.

This behavior is expected since how would the script for a simple variable
list that does not use any option names be able to reliably detect if the
first parameter is a portnumber or a build environment name?

There are two possible fixes for that:

   1. Reverse the order of the two arguments in which case you can omit
   either the portnumber or both arguments. It would also make the command
   line of the script more consistent with oe-init-build-env.
   2. Check if the first argument is an integer (since portnumbers are
   always integers).

I would prefer 1. but then Scott would have to change the documentation. I
can submit a patch if that is any interest.

BTW, is the protocol that the bitbake server expects on that port
documented somewhere (other than the source code that is)?

Cheers,
Rudi

[1] master:c9b2e30988a9eb514d42a4cf4266b032ffc36f98