[yocto] Board specific bbappend file

Stefan Roese stefan.roese at gmail.com
Thu Dec 5 08:44:34 PST 2013

On 05.12.2013 17:33, Bruce Ashfield wrote:
>>> What exactly are you tried to change on a per-board basis ? Assuming
>>> it is variables, you can use the standard OVERRIDES mechanism to
>>> have a version specific bbappend, that changes variables on a per
>>> board basis.
>>>
>>> i.e.
>>>
>>>        FOO_<machine name> = "bar"
>>>        FOO_<another machine name> = "bar2"
>>>
>>> Assuming the generic recipe uses these variables appropriately, you'll
>>> be fine.
>>
>> Specifically its the SRC_URI / SRC_URI_append variable (e.g. for a linux
>> kernel and u-boot etc). And since this one is used in many recipes, I
>> can't just put those settings in the machine conf file.
>>
>> Do you have any recommendations how to change this variable (per recipe)
>> without touching the generic bb file?
>
> You can absolutely change the SRC_URI on a per-board basis. Just use
> the technique that I showed above, and do it in a bbappend to your
> linux recipe.
>
> i.e. something like: SRC_URI_qemux86 += "file://myfancypatch.patch"

Yes, right. But this would mean doing it in a "generic" bbappend file? E.g.

recipe:
linux-xyz_3.12.bb

and its "generic" append file:
linux-xyz_3.12.bbappend

And thinking about for example 20 boards, this would mean to add 20
"SRC_URI_fooabc" defines to this bbappend file. Just shifting the
changes from the bb file to the "common" bbappend file.

What I was looking for is more a way to do this on a one-file-per-board
basis. Is this possible somehow?

Thanks,
Stefan