[yocto] Board specific bbappend file

Bruce Ashfield bruce.ashfield at windriver.com
Thu Dec 5 08:09:04 PST 2013

On 13-12-05 11:02 AM, Stefan Roese wrote:
> Dear List!
>
> I'm trying to add a board specific *.bbappend file to a recipe. To add
> board specific informations/settings to this recipe but without changing
> the common (generic) recipe (*.bb) file. Something like this:
>
> recipe:
> linux-xyz_3.12.bb
>
> board-specific append file:
> linux-xyz-board-foo_3.12.bbappend
>
>  From the documentation I read:
> "
> Append files must have the same root names as their corresponding
> recipes. For example, the append file someapp_1.5.1.bbappend must apply
> to someapp_1.5.1.bb.
> "
>
> So it seems impossible to "encrypt" the board name into the bbappend
> file name. Or am I missing something?
>
> If not, is there another way to add such board-specific stuff to a
> recipe without changing the generic recipe?

What exactly are you tried to change on a per-board basis ? Assuming
it is variables, you can use the standard OVERRIDES mechanism to
have a version specific bbappend, that changes variables on a per
board basis.

i.e.

      FOO_<machine name> = "bar"
      FOO_<another machine name> = "bar2"

Assuming the generic recipe uses these variables appropriately, you'll
be fine.

Bruce