[yocto] How to work with linux-yocto kernel

Bruce Ashfield bruce.ashfield at windriver.com
Wed Aug 28 10:52:25 PDT 2013

On 13-08-28 01:48 PM, Elvis Dowson wrote:
> Hi,
>       I just don't understand how to work with the linux-yocto kernel.
>
> For example, I created a local copy of the yocto kernel, and updated the
> linux-yocto_3.8.bb recipe to point to the local copy
> (git:///<path>;protocol=file, etc)
>
> Then I created a local branch meta, and another local branch
> standard/qemuarma9 and then updated the machine definitions in the meta
> branch for qemuarma9.
>
> When I run yocto, and bitbake linux-yocto, in the tmp folder, if I check
> the git branch, it's checked out *_standard/common-pc/atom-pc._*

There were some old bugs which caused the wrong board description to
be picked up, the seems similar.

But without seeing your exact changes, as they sit in the tree, I
can't be sure.

Did you also update the meta and machine branch SRCREVs ?

> This is really weird.
>
> I've wasted a couple of days because the yocto build infrastructure was
> checkout out the wrong branch.

Start with the yocto-bsp tool, it's probably the easiest way to define a
new BSP in recipe space, and then move it to the kernel later.

Cheers,

Bruce