[yocto] Can anything be done about do_rootfs speed?

Samuel Stirtzel s.stirtzel at googlemail.com
Wed Aug 28 01:49:57 PDT 2013

2013/8/28 Paul D. DeRocco <pderocco at ix.netcom.com>:
>> From: Martin Jansa
>>
>> Are you sure that you're not building some unnecessary IMAGE_FSTYPES?
>
> No, I'm not sure.
>
>> Last time someone asked my why it takes so long I've added some debug
>> output to do_rootfs and found out that only half of the time was opkg
>> installing packages and the rest was various IMAGE_FSTYPES.
>>
>> e.g. tar.bz2 takes very long without pbzip2 or lbzip2
>
> Is there a standard way to use those in a build? Do I replace bzip2 with a
> link to one of those? Or does Yocto build its own bzip2?

Hi,

look/grep for IMAGE_FSTYPE, if there is a += "tar.bz2" or multiple
identical += lines then you can be sure that do_rootfs is wasting
time.

A virtual package manager which only composes the package database in
a multi-threaded way could be seen as a silver bullet here.
Also pigz [1] and pbzip2 [2] could save some minutes / seconds
depending on the image size.

[1] http://zlib.net/pigz/
[2] http://compression.ca/pbzip2/

--