[yocto] Kernel 3.9 uImage build problem

lothar at denx.de lothar at denx.de
Tue Aug 27 02:38:47 PDT 2013

Am 2013-08-27 11:08, schrieb Hans Beckérus:
> Hi. We are trying to build a Linux 3.9 kernel (uplift from 3.6) and
> are suddenly facing a completely new error when creating the uImage.
>
> HOSTCC  scripts/mod/file2alias.o
> |   HOSTLD  scripts/mod/modpost
> | make[1]: `include/generated/mach-types.h' is up to date.
> |   CALL    scripts/checksyscalls.sh
> |   CHK     include/generated/compile.h
> |   CHK     kernel/config_data.h
> |   Kernel: arch/arm/boot/Image is ready
> |   Kernel: arch/arm/boot/zImage is ready
> | multiple (or no) load addresses:
> | This is incompatible with uImages
> | Specify LOADADDR on the commandline to build an uImage
> | make[1]: *** [arch/arm/boot/uImage] Error 1
> | make: *** [uImage] Error 2
>
> Any hints on where to start look for source of the problem?
> In our machine config UBOOT_LOADADDR is set.
>
> Build Configuration:
> BB_VERSION        = "1.19.0"
> BUILD_SYS         = "x86_64-linux"
> NATIVELSBSTRING   = "SUSE-LINUX-11"
> TARGET_SYS        = "arm-poky-linux-gnueabi"
> MACHINE           = "zynq-zc706"
> DISTRO            = "poky-chris"
> DISTRO_VERSION    = "1.4+snapshot-20130827"
> TUNE_FEATURES     = "armv7a vfp cortexa9"
> TARGET_FPU        = "vfp"
>
> Thanks.
> Hans

Hi,

I once had a similar issue with an ARM kernel. I fixed it by setting in
my machine conf for the u-boot
UBOOT_ENTRYPOINT := "0x70008000"
and for the kernel
KERNEL_EXTRA_ARGS += "LOADADDR=${UBOOT_ENTRYPOINT}"

In my case UBOOT_ENTRYPOINT initializes UBOOT_LOADADDR automatically,
but both are only for u-boot. The kernel may need to be set to the same
value manually via compile param, which then has to happen separately.

Perhaps it's similar in your case. Just an idea.

BR,
Lothar Rubusch