[yocto] What are _virtual providers? and other Suffixes?

Brad Litterell bradl at taser.com
Mon Aug 19 15:51:04 PDT 2013

I searched the Yocto Mega Manual, but am still somewhat mystified by the suffix formatting of various variable - especially virtual ones like this:

PREFERRED_PROVIDER_virtual/gettext = "gettext"

PREFERRED_PROVIDER_virtual/kernel_am335x-evm = "linux-ti-staging"

PREFERRED_PROVIDER_virtual/bootloader_am335x-evm = "u-boot-ti-staging"

Also, there seems to be some sort of prioritization going on with the multiple levels underscore characters in places like this:

# Set the PREFERRED_PROVIDER for jpeg functionality based on the MACHINE

# architecture.  For armv7a devices libjpeg-turbo should be used to take

# advantage of the SIMD instructions.

PREFERRED_PROVIDER_jpeg = "libjpeg-turbo"

PREFERRED_PROVIDER_jpeg_armv5te = "jpeg"

(all examples from the arago project in arago-prefs.inc)

Is there a succinct way of viewing these suffixes that will allow me to wrap my head around their various & myriad versions?

Am I right in assuming the "variable name" consists of the uppercase parse (regardless of number of underscores)?

Thanks,
Brad