[yocto] GCC SVN repo too slow?

Khem Raj raj.khem at gmail.com
Mon Aug 19 09:01:57 PDT 2013

On Monday, August 19, 2013, Denys Dmytriyenko <denis at denix.org> wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 19, 2013 at 05:51:59PM +1200, Christian Gagneraud wrote:
>> CC: meta-arago at arago-project.org

that svn failed (and so my build too).
an outside machine (but still in New Zealand) and it seems the problem
comes from gcc.gnu.org.

gcc.gnu.org/svn/gcc/branches;module=gcc-4_5-branch;protocol=http for
gcc-crosssdk-intermediate.

>> >thats a known issue and one of pressing reasons to not use svn version
on later versions if you see new recipes
>> >best case you could hit a mirror from yocto project and download the
source mirror

>> From the logs, I can see that bitbake is trying (among others):
>> downloads.yoctoproject.org
>> sources.openembedded.org
>>
>> but hits a 404, so it fall-backs to GCC's SVN repo directly.
>>
>> On the side, from the bitbake logs, I end up with a rather obscure error:
>> svn: E175002: REPORT of '/svn/gcc/!svn/vcc/default': 200 OK
>> (http://gcc.gnu.org)
>>
>> When trying a checkout manually from the outside machine, it fails
>> too, but the error message is a bit more friendly:
>> svn: REPORT of '/svn/gcc/!svn/vcc/default': Could not read response
>> body: connection was closed by server (http://gcc.gnu.org)
>>
>> I found plenty of "black magic" workarounds on the web while looking
>> for the strange "Error: [...] 200 OK", among them was to increase
>> Apache time out! Which won't even really solve my problem, because
>> the checkout will takes hours, if not days!
>>
>> Right now, I'm really stuck. The only solutions I can think of are:
>> - Ask kindly Arago not to use GCC code from SVN, or maybe to upload
>> an archive on yocto/oe mirrors.
>> - Check with GNU/GCC guys if they can do something about it (maybe
>> it's a temporary issue with their server)
>> - Wait and see, cross my fingers. :(
>
> Chris,
>
> I'm just wondering why do you even need gcc-4.5? Unless you specifically
use
> gcc-4.5 based toolchain with meta-arago. That is the only reason I keep
> gcc-4.5 recipes in meta-arago to support old products with old toolchains.
> We've moved to 4.7 Linaro quite some time ago - when you use that, you
won't
> need to download 4.5 version.
>
> If you really need gcc-4.5 and it's not just a misconfiguration, then I
have
> a tarball available that can be uploaded to a mirror...

Regardless let's mirror it. Send me a URL to clone it