[yocto] GCC SVN repo too slow?

Christian Gagneraud chgans at gna.org
Sun Aug 18 22:51:59 PDT 2013

CC: meta-arago at arago-project.org

On 19/08/13 17:16, Khem Raj wrote:

> On Aug 18, 2013, at 7:34 PM, Christian Gagneraud <chgans at gna.org> wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I'm having problems with the GCC SVN repo being so slow to checkout, that svn failed (and so my build too).
>> I first suspected the proxy we have here, but i tried a checkout from an outside machine (but still in New Zealand) and it seems the problem comes from gcc.gnu.org.
>>
>> I am using the arago layer, which requires svn://gcc.gnu.org/svn/gcc/branches;module=gcc-4_5-branch;protocol=http for gcc-crosssdk-intermediate.
>>
>> By slow, I really mean slow: 1 to 2 files are checkout per second!?!
>>
>> Has anyone encountered the same kind of problems?
>

> thats a known issue and one of pressing reasons to not use svn version on later versions if you see new recipes
> best case you could hit a mirror from yocto project and download the source mirror

 From the logs, I can see that bitbake is trying (among others):
downloads.yoctoproject.org
sources.openembedded.org

but hits a 404, so it fall-backs to GCC's SVN repo directly.

On the side, from the bitbake logs, I end up with a rather obscure error:
svn: E175002: REPORT of '/svn/gcc/!svn/vcc/default': 200 OK
(http://gcc.gnu.org)

When trying a checkout manually from the outside machine, it fails too,
but the error message is a bit more friendly:
svn: REPORT of '/svn/gcc/!svn/vcc/default': Could not read response
body: connection was closed by server (http://gcc.gnu.org)

I found plenty of "black magic" workarounds on the web while looking for
the strange "Error: [...] 200 OK", among them was to increase Apache
time out! Which won't even really solve my problem, because the checkout
will takes hours, if not days!

Right now, I'm really stuck. The only solutions I can think of are:
- Ask kindly Arago not to use GCC code from SVN, or maybe to upload an
archive on yocto/oe mirrors.
- Check with GNU/GCC guys if they can do something about it (maybe it's
a temporary issue with their server)
- Wait and see, cross my fingers. :(

Thanks,
Chris