[yocto] My stuff is missing from rootfs

Mark Hatle mark.hatle at windriver.com
Thu Aug 15 16:28:49 PDT 2013

On 8/15/13 2:30 PM, Paul D. DeRocco wrote:
>> From: Saul Wold
>>
>>> On 08/15/2013 11:37 AM, Paul D. DeRocco wrote:
>>> I've done exactly this in a different Yocto-based project,
>>> and it worked.
>>> Now I'm trying to do the same thing in a Gumstix build, and it's not
>>> working. I have a dumb little recipe that merely copies
>>> some files into
>>> particlar places in the rootfs. It adds a systemd service
>>> unit, as well as
>>> .bashrc and .inputrc to /home/root.
>>>
>>> The build logs show the recipe being processed, including
>>> the do_install
>>> task which copies the files. No errors are produced. If I
>>> rummage through
>>> build/tmp/work, I can find the fragment of the rootfs containing the
>>> /home/root and /etc/systemd/system directories with my
>>> files in them. Yet no
>>> matter what I try, these things never wind up in the final rootfs.
>>>
>>> I've tried clean and cleansstate on the recipe, as well as
>>> on my top-level
>>> recipe. I've bumped PR from r0 to r1. It dutifully
>>> reprocesses my recipe,
>>> with no errors, and I end up with a perfectly functioning
>>> rootfs without
>>> these particular files.
>>>
>>> This is a slightly modified version of
>>> gumstix-console-image. I believe it's
>>> based on Danny, as the gumstix Dylan stuff is still a work
>>> in progress.
>>>
>>> What could conceivably be wrong?
>>>
>> Where do you add your recipe's generated packages to the image, this
>> could be in your custom image with an RDEPENDS or via something in
>> local.conf like CORE_IMAGE_EXTRA_INSTALL_append = " <packagename>".
>>
>> Do you have other recipes that DEPEND or RDEPEND on your recipe?
>>
>> That might point you in the right direction.
>
> My top level recipe uses IMAGE_INSTALL to add a bunch of packages, including
> one whose name matches the name of the recipe that's being processed but
> whose output is being ignored. This is exactly what I did in a different
> Yocto project, to get a similar recipe to install some similar files, and it
> all worked fine.
>
> I've attached the top level recipe and the problematic one, only changing
> the project name to "foo" for proprietary reasons.

A simple way to diagnose if your package is even in the install list is to do
bitbake -e <image>, then scan the output for "PACKAGE_INSTALL".  If your package
is not listed there, then something has either cleared your configuration or you
have a typo.

IMAGE_INSTALL_append = " my_package" should work, and generally won't be cleared
by a recipe.

(Note you should modify IMAGE_INSTALL, which is transformed by the system into
PACKAGE_INSTALL... modifying PACKAGE_INSTALL can lead to problems.)

--Mark