[yocto] How Does Yocto Fill In UBOOT_MACHINE?

Leo Schwab lschwab at sensity.com
Thu Aug 15 12:02:27 PDT 2013

Thank you for replying:

On Thu, Aug 15, 2013 at 11:39 AM, Saul Wold <sgw at linux.intel.com> wrote:
> On 08/15/2013 11:15 AM, Leo Schwab wrote:
>> ...Except I never told it to build 'ourboard'; I haven't modified
>> conf/machine/ourboard.conf yet.  It should still be building
>> mx6dl_sabresd_config.  So UBOOT_MACHINE is magically picking up a
>> different value.  If I remove my .bbappend file, then it resumes using
>> the target mx6dl_sabresd_config.
>>
> But you did indirectly, I have to assume that your default MACHINE is set
> for "ourboard"

Correct.

> and what's happened here is when the bbappend was added, your
> setting of UBOOT_MACHINE_ourboard is an override so it built using that
> setting.
> [ ... ]
> You can see this in action by running a bitbake -e (prints the variable
> contents and how they were determined).

Umm...  Actually, no I dont:

---
$ bitbake -e
[ ...blah, blah, blah...]
# $UBOOT_MACHINE
#   set /home/ewhac/devel/iMX6/fsl-community-bsp/sources/meta-belis3/conf/machine/ourboard.conf:12
#     "mx6dl_sabresd_config"
UBOOT_MACHINE="mx6dl_sabresd_config"
[ ... ]

Which is what I expected.

Meanwhile, in the build log
tmp/work/..../u-boot-imx/2009.08-r16/temp/run.do_compile.29091:

----
do_compile() {
	if [ "" = "ld-is-gold" ] ; then
		sed -i 's/$(CROSS_COMPILE)ld/$(CROSS_COMPILE)ld.bfd/g' config.mk
	fi
	if [ "" = "ld-is-gold" ] ; then
		sed -i 's/$(CROSS_COMPILE)ld$/$(CROSS_COMPILE)ld.bfd/g' config.mk
	fi

	unset LDFLAGS
	unset CFLAGS
	unset CPPFLAGS
	oe_runmake mx6_ournode_config   # <---- ?!?!?!
	oe_runmake u-boot.bin

}
----

In the process of reproducing this output, some stuff happened that
makes me think that bitbake's cache is mildly confused.  I'll try
scrubbing it and see if things become more consistent.  I will also
look into the OVERRIDES mechanism.

Schwab