[yocto] RFC: automated runtime testing on real hardware

Paul Eggleton paul.eggleton at linux.intel.com
Tue Aug 13 04:00:08 PDT 2013

Hi all,

As part of the feature development work for 1.5, we've recently added the
ability to easily define runtime tests written in python, replacing the old
shell-based imagetest.bbclass. However, for 1.5 this is limited to running the
tests within a QEMU environment; the obvious and desirable next step is to be
able to have these run on real hardware. Clearly this presents some
challenges, such as how to manage access to the hardware if you have multiple
builders potentially wanting to use the same board at around the same time.

Automated testing on real hardware is something that a lot of us do already,
but the likelihood is that we've all been coming up with our own solutions for
this, so it would be really great if we could have a single working solution
to cover the generally applicable use cases. As a start though it would be
interesting to hear from people who have existing test setups or who are
generally interested in this area. I'd like to hear feedback on the following:

 * What hardware setup do you use for automated testing?

 * Do you use any software to manage the hardware? Does this include any
existing open source tools?

 * What would you like to see in a common framework to enable this kind of
testing?

For reference, some discussion on this started in another thread [1], but I'd
like to throw this out to a more general audience.

Thanks,
Paul

[1] https://lists.yoctoproject.org/pipermail/yocto/2013-August/017687.html

--