[yocto] [Announcement] Yocto Project 1.5 Milestone 3 now available.

Paul Eggleton paul.eggleton at linux.intel.com
Mon Aug 12 02:44:05 PDT 2013

On Sunday 11 August 2013 10:03:12 Robert Berger wrote:
> On 08/10/2013 01:02 PM, Paul Eggleton wrote:
> > The new framework replaces the old, is written in python and makes writing
> > tests much easier. As a result we are going through a process of adding
> > many more runtime tests than we had previously.
>
> I'm confused now. Is it autobuilder + new stuff in python and/or ptest
> or something completely different? Are there already some examples in
> git I could have a look at?

This is largely unrelated to ptest although at some point in the near future
we'll need to have a discussion about how ptest should be integrated. It's
really about being able to easily define tests that verify functionality of
multiple installed packages together, e.g. whether smart can install an rpm
package from a feed.

There's not much on the autobuilder side apart from ensuring the appropriate
configuration is set - one of the aims was to avoid too much intrusion into the
autobuilder code. The main class is testimage.bbclass, so you can just do
INHERIT += "testimage" in local.conf and then run bitbake -c testimage
<imagename>. The tests are in meta/lib/oeqa/runtime/ and utility code under
meta/lib/oeqa/utils.

There's no documentation for this yet other than what's in the code (and there
are some comments there), but it's coming soon.

> > We do definitely want automated testing on real hardware; it's just that
> > that it presents a number of problems that need solving:
> >  * How do you deploy the image/kernel/bootloader onto the board in an
> > automated manner?
>
> I use kernel over tftp and rootfs over nfs. The trivial example of a
> boot loader upgrade is when you have a running (Linux) system just scp
> it over. It's getting non trivial in case you manage to screw up the
> boot loader. For the generic case maybe some update strategy with a
> fallback solution to a known good boot loader might be needed.
>
> > To different kinds of boards?
>
> kernel over tftp and rootfs over nfs should work with all boards.

Sounds like a sensible approach then.

> >  * How do you manage access to the boards when you have multiple
> >  autobuilders potentially wanting to make use of them at around the same
> >  time?
>
> Mutual exclusive access to the (serial) console can be handled by
> conserver. Mutual exclusive via ssh gets more tricky.

The point is I think at least for how we run the YP autobuilders you'd want
there to be a queueing mechanism.

> I don't think it makes much sense to access the same board from multiple
> autobuilders. This is most likely an error case which you would like to
> catch.

I agree, but equally I think it would be preferable for an autobuilder task
that requires access to a board to wait until any other users have finished
rather than just failing immediately, and if possible to know the difference
between waiting for access and timing out because the device isn't responding.

Cheers,
Paul

--

Paul Eggleton