[yocto] [Announcement] Yocto Project 1.5 Milestone 3 now available.

Paul Eggleton paul.eggleton at linux.intel.com
Mon Aug 12 02:28:11 PDT 2013

Hi Björn,

On Monday 12 August 2013 11:11:45 Björn Stenberg wrote:
> Paul Eggleton wrote:
> > We do definitely want automated testing on real hardware; it's just that
> > that it presents a number of problems that need solving:
> >  * How do you deploy the image/kernel/bootloader onto the board in an
> > automated manner? To different kinds of boards?
> >  * How do you manage access to the boards when you have multiple
> > autobuilders potentially wanting to make use of them at around the same
> > time?
>
> These are all solved problems. We build and auto-test Yocto nightly on a
> bunch of different hardware using tftp and nfs. I'm sure other teams do
> something similar. However, since there is no Yocto standard for this yet
> we all do it slightly differently.

Right, that's what we would be aiming for. Perhaps you could talk a little bit
about how you manage your hardware testing and any additional software and
scripts you make use of there?

> Also, even when/if Intel sets up an automated hardware lab for Yocto, it
> will necessarily only have a limited selection of boards. Perhaps we could
> have a system where we pool community test results into one place rather
> than depend on a single test lab.

I agree. In fact our test lab would probably be limited to the reference
boards that the Yocto Project officially supports within meta-yocto i.e. what we
currently test on manually.

> I have said it before, and I'll remind/nag about it again: Please don't run
> off and do this on your own. This is something that touches the daily work
> of many community members and it should be done with open discussion.

Good point, but this is one of the reasons we haven't done anything other than
some thinking about it on my part :) FWIW we still haven't started anything on
ptest automation either so it's not the case that work is being done on these
things outside of community channels. In either case, we can definitely start
talking about it now if folks are ready but it's likely the implementation
work won't get done until 1.6.

The automated testing work we have done so far for 1.5 is just about ensuring
there is a simple way to define runtime tests (completely separate from ptest)
and make that easy for people to extend to cover their own use cases. This in
turn makes it easier runtime tests to be written to automate a large portion
of our existing manual QA process.

Cheers,
Paul

--