[yocto] Building linux-yocto kernel in own bsp layer

Bruce Ashfield bruce.ashfield at gmail.com
Sun Aug 11 07:16:28 PDT 2013

On Sun, Aug 11, 2013 at 2:51 AM,  <martiert at gmail.com> wrote:
> Btw. Is this yocto-kernel specifics, or is it relatively new in oe? I worked quite a bit in oe about a year ago, and we never used such a file then. But this was not a derivative of yocto-kernel.

It's been around since yocto 0.9, in one form or another, with tweaks
to make things
more "under the covers" as time progresses. It is inherent to kernel's
that inherit
kernel-yocto, which adds functionality around config fragments and
patch management,
etc. If I my latest rounds of tweaks would have been complete, it
would have been
nicely hidden here as well :) It wouldn't hurt other kernels, it would
just be ignored.

Bruce

> On 11. aug. 2013, at 07:12, Bruce Ashfield <bruce.ashfield at windriver.com> wrote:

>>> Understood. I'm bumping this up to my list and have started a test build.
>>
>> I've sorted this out. You didn't do anything wrong, outside of not
>> defining a BSP description for the board you are building.
>>
>> I've had a patch queued for 1.5 that would have detected this mismatch
>> and adapted, but that change is held up on the 3.10 kernel and some
>> other changes .. but I digress.
>>
>> This also should have been in the docs, since it is what the yocto-bsp
>> tool generates for new BSPs. But it's probably not obvious enough, and
>> with my pending patches, that should be ok .. but I digress again.
>>
>> What basically happened is that the atom-pc BSP description was picked
>> to match your pandaboard build. That's why you see the different architecture
>> and what looks like an ignored defconfig. The tools will shortly
>> generate you a skeleton config, but for now, you need to define your
>> own that will be found and used.
>>
>> I've attached a patch that does just that, and when I configured,
>> everything was applied properly.
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> Bruce
>>

>>> Bruce