[yocto] ALIX3D3 Live Image "Waiting for removable media" Problem

Eren Türkay eren at hambedded.org
Thu Aug 8 06:13:49 PDT 2013

Hello,

I am working on ALIX3D3 [0] BSP [1]. It is an x86-compatible PC with AMD
Geode LX Processor. It boots from CF Card and has Award BIOS.

I enabled Geode specific features in the kernel (CS5536 PATA, Sound,
Geode Framebuffer, etc) and I produce "live" image so that I can
directly "dd" it into CF Card and boot. However, when I boot it, I see
"waiting for removable media" and cannot go forward. In the dmesg
output, I see that all geode specific features are OK. The kernel probes
CF Card and finds it as "sda", I can see sound card and framebuffer
works as expected. However, udevadm complains about not finding
/dev/sda*

I have looked at how live image was generated and saw that it creates an
msdos file system, not another volume. So, I dig into other bootable
image and found out that "vmdk" image actually creates ".hdddirect" with
valid partitions. I tried with that image type, and dd'ed ".hdddirect"
image. In the end, it complained about not finding initrd as the boot
partition of ".hdddirect" only includes syslinux and vmlinuz, not
initrd.

I would appreciate any help on deploying these image on the hardware. It
seems that having initrd in .hdddirect would solve the problem but I'm
not sure how I can accomplish this.

===== Bitbake Output =====
Build Configuration:
BB_VERSION        = "1.18.0"
BUILD_SYS         = "x86_64-linux"
NATIVELSBSTRING   = "Ubuntu-12.04"
TARGET_SYS        = "i586-poky-linux"
MACHINE           = "alix3d3"
DISTRO            = "poky"
DISTRO_VERSION    = "1.4.1"
TUNE_FEATURES     = "m32 i586"
TARGET_FPU        = ""
meta
meta-yocto
meta-yocto-bsp    = "dylan:e4a0a4c5e419154a34710a1b6c28d4180c6304c3"
meta-hamradio     = "master:243f71144a3fb9a1dbeb81cfc6c46157627b5aa8"
meta-alix3d3      = "master:46afebe021f259206941445a643afe2c6dbc0d2d"
===== End: Bitbake Output =====

Regards,
Eren

[0] http://pcengines.ch/alix3d3.htm