[yocto] Package specific version dependencies

Mark Hatle mark.hatle at windriver.com
Tue Aug 6 05:50:30 PDT 2013

On 8/6/13 4:07 AM, Paul Eggleton wrote:
> Hi Francesco,
>
> On Tuesday 06 August 2013 09:55:06 Francesco Del Degan wrote:
>> Playing with RDEPENDS variable i'm facing the needs to
>> specify a dependency based on specific version of a package
>> (greather than, in my specific case).
>>
>> The underlying package managers supports declaring dependencies
>> including version relationships, for example:
>>
>> Rpm:  Requires: package_xxx >= 1.0.27
>> Deb:  Depends: libc6 (>= 2.2.1)
>> Okpg: Depends: xfree (>= 6.0), glib2
>>
>> Is this feature just missing in yocto or it's explicitly denied
>> for some reason?
>
> This should work, in fact we use it (with =) in conjunction with EXTENDPKGV
> when we want to force packages from the same recipe to upgrade in lock-step.

The format for RDEPENDS is slightly different from all three.

dep (= ver)
dep (< ver)
dep (> ver)
dep (<= ver)
dep (>= ver)

(For those familiar with deb style, >> and << is not supported by the oe-core
dependency set.  This is to avoid confusion as > and < are a lot more obvious.)

The items above are then mapped into their respective format depending on the
package manager you have selected.

Note:  The version dependency items are not evaluated by bitbake, it only pays
attention to the package name when determining build dependencies.  You would
also need to specify (in your distribution or local .conf file) a
PREFERRED_VERSION_dep = "ver" to ensure the right version is built.

--Mark