[yocto] X11 without a desktop

Gary Thomas gary at mlbassoc.com
Mon Aug 5 09:29:40 PDT 2013

On 2013-08-05 08:50, Burton, Ross wrote:
> On 5 August 2013 15:14, Gary Thomas <gary at mlbassoc.com> wrote:
>> I'm running a system roughly based on core-image-sato except
>> that I've disabled the matchbox desktop (I only have a single
>> application).  Some things still seem to want the desktop
>> to be in place though, in particular I don't get a popup
>> keyboard on my touch screen until I see this message:
>>    Timeout waiting for org.matchbox_project.desktop.Loaded
>>
>> The problem is that this timeout is quite long - maybe a minute?
>>
>> How can I fully disable this or adjust the timeout to be shorter?
>
> That's the matchbox-keyboard init script which waits for the desktop
> to say it's loaded, easily patched out (the intention was to serialise
> the final stages of the boot so the desktop appeared quickly and then
> the keyboard loaded in the background).

I found this:
    if [ "$CMD" ]; then
       # Delay to make sure the window manager is active
       # by waiting for the desktop to say its finished loading
       dbus-wait org.matchbox_project.desktop Loaded
       exec $CMD
   fi

Can I safely just disable the dbus-wait or do I need something else
there, e.g. sleep for a few seconds, ...?  Maybe I should patch dbus-wait
(which you, Ross, wrote) to be able to specify the timeout?