[yocto] Network booting

Chris Tapp opensource at keylevel.com
Fri Aug 2 00:35:42 PDT 2013

Hi Thomas,

On 2 Aug 2013, at 08:22, Tomas Frydrych wrote:

> On 01/08/13 19:53, Chris Tapp wrote:
>> I think it is ;-) I think I'll still need to use ipxe as I need to be
>> able to boot without DHCP support as well.
>
> Depends on the bios, if your machine's bios supports PXE, then you do
> not need ipxe, just a tftp server set up on the LAN that serves PXELinux.

My case is a bit more complicated as I also can't have non-secure (t)ftp! Are you saying that PXE can work without DHCP/BOOTP?

> I am wondering if having a thin meta-pxe layer would be useful to pull
> some of this together both code and people interested, or whether we
> should aim adding this functionality to OE-core?

I think this could be made a general use-case. A meta-layer sounds sensible to get it going - this could then be added to OE-core later if that makes sense.

It would benefit from some scripting support in the image to personalise it as it boots (e.g. setting IP configuration, hostname, etc.) - I'm currently looking to do this by passing parameters back from the server through the kernel command line.

Chris Tapp

opensource at keylevel.com
www.keylevel.com