[yocto] Network booting

Tomas Frydrych tf+lists.yocto at r-finger.com
Thu Aug 1 07:06:56 PDT 2013

Hi Chris,

On 01/08/13 09:08, Tomas Frydrych wrote:
> On 31/07/13 21:30, Chris Tapp wrote:
> It's relatively easy to add support for tftp to the yocto live image
> scripts; this allows you to either boot from the network, or install
> from the network. I have have some raw patches kicking around, that add
> support for both tftp and scp, I have been meaning to clean it up and
> post an rfc to the list, I'll try to get that done this week.

I am attaching the patches I have, it's a bit raw, and needs more work
before submitting for consideration in oe-core, but I think out of the
box tftp support would be useful to have somewhere.

The patches include changes to the live/install scripts from the oe-core
initramfs recipes and an image recipe for an initrd image with the
necessary tools (I initially started to write separate recipes for the
scripts, but realized quickly that the differences from the standard
live image bits are so small that's hardly justified in comparison to
the increased maintenance burden.)

The main changes to the scripts are:

 * use syslinux instead of grub, makes life lot simpler, 'naf said,
 * rework the install script so that unassisted install is possible,
 * support tfpt for kernel/rootfs loading, and scp for rootfs loading,

The test-ssh-key recipe provides a dummy (i.e., compromised) ssh key
that can be used for rudimentary testing of using scp for kernel
outside of LAN boundaries, but a real set up would need bit of thought
on how to manage the real keys, etc.

The net-image also generates a sample config file for PXELinux in the
deploy/images directory (net-image.pxelinux.cfg), which documents fairly
well how to set it up. I hope this is of some use, at least to foster
more discussion. :)

Tomas

--
http://sleepfive.com