[yocto] Network booting

Tomas Frydrych tf+lists.yocto at r-finger.com
Thu Aug 1 01:08:04 PDT 2013

On 31/07/13 21:30, Chris Tapp wrote:
> Is there an easy way to have a system boot and load the rootfs from a
> network server?
>
> I'm using an x86 system and can have the kernel and an initrd on it.
> I would use bootp, but a lot of end users either don't have this or
> will not allow it to be used. I think it needs to go something like:
>
> 1) Kernel loads the initrd and bring the network up (static or
> DHCP); 2) The rootfs image can then be download; 3) Some magic then
> makes this run...
>
> This would allow easy update of the rootfs and makes it non-volatile
> (which is good for this project).

It's relatively easy to add support for tftp to the yocto live image
scripts; this allows you to either boot from the network, or install
from the network. I have have some raw patches kicking around, that add
support for both tftp and scp, I have been meaning to clean it up and
post an rfc to the list, I'll try to get that done this week.

Tomas

--
http://sleepfive.com