[yocto] suspending bitbake

Trevor Woerner twoerner at gmail.com
Tue Apr 30 11:36:37 PDT 2013

I'm quite sure there used to be a time when I could send a SIGTSTP to
bitbake
(usually by doing a Ctrl-Z) and it along with its children would suspend.
This
doesn't seem to be the case anymore. Maybe it just so happened that the
subprocesses finished quickly after I gave the Ctrl-Z and no new ones were
started so it only looked like all subprocesses were also sent the suspend
signal?

In any case, I'm doing a "bitbake world" and am using 4 threads/parallel
builds. Before issuing the Ctrl-Z I have:

$ ps ax | grep bitbake
14781 pts/7    S+     0:00 /bin/sh
/home/trevor/devel/yocto/git/meta-poky/scripts/bitbake world
14804 pts/7    S+     0:08 python
/home/trevor/devel/yocto/git/meta-poky/bitbake/bin/bitbake world
14858 pts/7    Sl+    0:57 python
/home/trevor/devel/yocto/git/meta-poky/bitbake/bin/bitbake world
14900 pts/7    S      0:00 python
/home/trevor/devel/yocto/git/meta-poky/bitbake/bin/bitbake world
14901 pts/7    S      0:00 python
/home/trevor/devel/yocto/git/meta-poky/bitbake/bin/bitbake world
14913 pts/7    S      0:00 python
/home/trevor/devel/yocto/git/meta-poky/bitbake/bin/bitbake world
26560 pts/7    S      0:01 python
/home/trevor/devel/yocto/git/meta-poky/bitbake/bin/bitbake world

afterwards I have:

14781 pts/7    T      0:00 /bin/sh
/home/trevor/devel/yocto/git/meta-poky/scripts/bitbake world
14804 pts/7    T      0:08 python
/home/trevor/devel/yocto/git/meta-poky/bitbake/bin/bitbake world
14858 pts/7    Tl     0:57 python
/home/trevor/devel/yocto/git/meta-poky/bitbake/bin/bitbake world
14900 pts/7    S      0:01 python
/home/trevor/devel/yocto/git/meta-poky/bitbake/bin/bitbake world
14901 pts/7    S      0:00 python
/home/trevor/devel/yocto/git/meta-poky/bitbake/bin/bitbake world
14913 pts/7    S      0:00 python
/home/trevor/devel/yocto/git/meta-poky/bitbake/bin/bitbake world

Only some of the threads are suspended. Has this behaviour changed recently?