[yocto] Compliance program questions

Jeff Osier-Mixon jefro at jefro.net
Thu Apr 25 10:52:18 PDT 2013

Hi Nicolas, thanks for asking these questions. We are in the process
of revising the documentation and application forms for that program,
so your questions come at a very good time.

I have a few answers:

On Thu, Apr 25, 2013 at 8:36 AM, Nicolas Dechesne <ndec13 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> I have a couple of questions regarding the compliance program. If
> there is a better place for asking such questions, please let me know.
>
> I have studied the Yocto compliance documentation, [1] on the website,
> and I have the following questions:
>
>  - is there any 'practical' guide with "do's and don'ts" to help make
> a sucessful Yocto Project Compatible registration?

We don't have a guide like this, but I can create one. I'm guessing
you are looking for guidance on how to answer individual questions as
well as how one answer affects the others, is that correct?

>  - i understand that while the project should build with the OE core
> toolchain, it is not required to use the OE core toolchain 'by
> default', so we should be able to provide our own modified/customized
> toolchain in our layers, is my understanding correct?

Yes - the project needs to be able to build with the standard
toolchain, but you can provide your own as well.

>  - it is recommended, but not mandatory not use the Yocto kernel, so
> we can use any mainline version in our BSP layers, right?

I believe this is the case, but I'll need to research & get back to you.

>  - is it tolerated to change the versions of some components from
> OE-core or meta-oe? Not just add patches through .bbappend, but
> actually use an older or a more recent version of components, let's
> say Gstreamer for example?

I don't think we require specific versions of any packages, but again
I'll have to research first.

>  - can we included new recipes for software programs not already
> included in oe-core or meta-oe in our layers, or do we have to
> contribute them back into oe-core or meta-oe before registration?

Yes, you can include new recipes (and packages).

>  - the Yocto project compatible registration is made against a
> specific version of Yocto. What happens when a new Yocto version is
> released? Should we go through the registration process again?

That is a question we have discussed quite a lot. The plan of record
is for YP Compatible products/projects to resubmit the form after
testing with the new version. However, that does create a problem if
someone has, for example, a dozen YP Compatible products. Plus, what
happens with point releases? These issues are under discussion & I'll
report back as soon as I have clear answers.

> thanks a lot!

Thank you for asking these questions!

Jeff Osier-Mixon http://jefro.net/blog
Yocto Project Community Manager @Intel http://yoctoproject.org