[yocto] observations on current BSP developer's guide

Rifenbark, Scott M scott.m.rifenbark at intel.com
Mon Apr 22 11:11:04 PDT 2013

Robert,

Thanks for this close look through the BSP Guide.  I will move on to your next emails for the remainder of the review.  For these changes, you can find them at http://www.yoctoproject.org/docs/1.4/bsp-guide/bsp-guide.html. I could not address the comment regarding some layers not conforming to our BSP Requirements section.  Hopefully someone will respond to that comment.

Scott

Fixed

>* remove lines of meta-yocto/meta-yocto-bsp from example, has
>potential for giving readers wrong impression. also that whole
>BBLAYERS_NON_REMOVABLE thing is debatable. pick simpler example.

This example is the shipped bblayers.conf file.  I am leaving it.

>1.2 Example Filesystem Layout
>
>* clarify what is *actually* required to be an official OE/YP layer,
>as some layers don't have things like README, README.sources, etc.

I qualify the directory hierarchy by saying that not all layers have this structure. There is also a link to a section named "Released BSP Requirements" that describes what is needed in a BSP layer for it to be YP-compliant.

>1.2.5 Layer Configuration File
>
>* "here are the last three statements from the Crown Bay
>conf/layer.conf file" -- those aren't actually the last three lines,
>there's also the "_depends" line but someone else can decide how to
>word that.

Poor wording on my part.  This sentence is loosely referring to what would be the corresponding three lines as shown in the example directly above in the manual and not actually numbered lines from the file itself.  I re-worded this to be clear on that point.

>* wait, that sample layer.conf file seems wrong, aren't the BBFILES
>entries missing a wildcard directory layer?

You are absolutely correct.  I pasted in the correct statements for the example.  Good catch.

>1.2.6 Hardware Configuration Options
>
>* "For example, the ia32-base.inc file resides in the meta-intel BSP
>Layer in conf/machine/include." hmmmm ... pedantic, yes, but should
>meta-intel really be described as a "BSP" layer? what's the proper way
>to describe it?

Not pedantic... Confusing actually.  I should refer to this simply as a "layer".  I have removed "BSP".

>* also, that statement is simply wrong as that directory contains only
>meta-intel.inc, not ia32-base.inc. and last para might also mention
>the include of meta-intel.inc in addition to the other two "require"s.

I removed that sentence leaving just the actual location where the ia32-base.inc file is really found.  Also included the third "require".

>1.2.7 Miscellaneous Recipe Files
>
>* Might rename this to "Miscellaneous BSP-specific Recipe Files", to
>distinguish it from the *other* recipe-related sections that follow?

Good suggestion - done.

>1.2.9 Linux Kernel Configuration
>
>* Worth upgrading the example shown to 3.8 instead of 3.4? and the
>source shown there doesn't exactly match what's in the current file.

Converted.

>* "The file also uses the optional KBRANCH variable to ensure the
>build process uses the standard/default/crownbay kernel branch."
>sorry, "standard/default/crownbay"? shouldn't that say just
>"standard/crownbay"?

Corrected.

>* "you had a some" -> "you had some"

Corrected.

>1.3.1 Released BSP Requirements
>
>* again, a number of existing layers don't fully comply with this list

Not quite sure how to address this problem.  If our shipped layers are not complying then we need to fix the layers so they do or change the requirements.  Maybe someone else can comment on this.

>* File System Layout: "recipe-*" -> "recipes-*"

Fixed.

>* Machine Configuration File: should probably say that you need to
>include one *or more* machine config files, not just one.

Fixed.

>* Note: "It is completely possible for a developer to structure the
>working repository as a conglomeration of unrelated BSP files..."
>might be worth pointing out that this is exactly what meta-yocto-bsp
>does, but that's a special case.

Good point - I adjusted the text.

>1.4 Customizing a Recipe for a BSP
>
>* based on recent discussion, probably don't want to use the netbase
>recipe as the example here :-) besides, point 1 erroneously refers to
>the "netbases" directory instead of "netbase".

Yes - I updated this example based on information sent to me from Paul Eggleton.