[yocto] any point in a single machine recipe using a machine-specific file?

Tomas Frydrych tf+lists.yocto at r-finger.com
Fri Apr 19 07:56:54 PDT 2013

On 19/04/13 15:34, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> On Fri, 19 Apr 2013, Tomas Frydrych wrote:
>
>> On 19/04/13 15:15, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
>>> i'd wonder, if you're building for a different machine, why are
>>> you including the meta-rpi layer?
>>
>> Because at a distro-level you often want to target different
>> architectures.
>
>   yes, i appreciate that but, in *this* case, we're talking about a
> single machine with a single architecture. i'm pretty sure we're
> agreeing, i'm just pointing out that in this specific example, having
> a machine-specific subdirectory is overkill.

BSP layers are not stand alone entities, they can never assume that no
other machines exist in the ecosystem they are pulled into. So, no, it
is most definitely not an overkill. I am not sure how else to explain
it, maybe fix up the RPI layer the way you intended locally and build
yourself a Qemu image, see what happens to your interfaces file.

Tomas

--
http://sleepfive.com