[yocto] any point in a single machine recipe using a machine-specific file?

Robert P. J. Day rpjday at crashcourse.ca
Fri Apr 19 07:23:01 PDT 2013

On Fri, 19 Apr 2013, Tomas Frydrych wrote:

> On 19/04/13 15:02, Burton, Ross wrote:
> > On 19 April 2013 14:49, Robert P. J. Day <rpjday at crashcourse.ca> wrote:
> >>   but in the case of the rpi, is there any value in putting the
> >> files under a machine-named subdirectory? of course it won't
> >> hurt, but is there any point to it?
> >
> > You could argue the clarity that it will bring if another machine
> > is added to the BSP - the maintainer will be forced to decide if
> > it's common across all machines that the BSP will service, or
> > truly is specific to a particular machine.
>
> No, no, no, this has nothing to do with clarity, it's the only way
> in which it can be done without breaking other machines. As Martin
> said, multiple BSP layers often are included at the same time, and
> if a config file pulled in by a BSP bbappend is not made machine
> specific (which is what the machine specific directory means), it
> will be installed for any machine that does not come with a higher
> priority bbappend that also overrides this file.

  ok, now we're getting somewhere -- so it would be *strongly*
*encouraged* to make all of these bbappend files machine-specific?
that is, if you want to avoid potential confusion down the road. i'm
still a bit queasy on the idea that you'd include so many layers that
this might be an issue but ... whatever. i mean, if i wasn't
specifically building for an rpi, i can't imagine why i'd include the
meta-rpi layer.

> As an additional point, the 'interfaces' file should not be included
> in a netbase bbappend, it's not part of the netbase base package ...
> I opened a bug against meta-yocto-bsp for this, but seems this is
> more wide spread.

  huh, you're right, i'd never noticed that.

rday

                        http://crashcourse.ca