[yocto] any point in a single machine recipe using a machine-specific file?

Robert P. J. Day rpjday at crashcourse.ca
Fri Apr 19 07:15:26 PDT 2013

On Fri, 19 Apr 2013, Burton, Ross wrote:

> On 19 April 2013 14:49, Robert P. J. Day <rpjday at crashcourse.ca> wrote:
> >   but in the case of the rpi, is there any value in putting the
> > files under a machine-named subdirectory? of course it won't hurt,
> > but is there any point to it?
>
> You could argue the clarity that it will bring if another machine is
> added to the BSP - the maintainer will be forced to decide if it's
> common across all machines that the BSP will service, or truly is
> specific to a particular machine.

  yes, i understand that, but is there a convention? i just want to
clarify that, in *this* case, there doesn't seem to be much value to
adding that extra directory level.

  and addressing martin's point, sure, if one includes the rpi layer
while building for another machine, it might make a difference, to
which i'd wonder, if you're building for a different machine, why are
you including the meta-rpi layer?

  from my perspective, it's a case of minimalism and being able to
explain stuff to students. if a student looked at that meta-rpi
netbase directory structure and asked why it was done that way, the
best answer i'd be able to give is that it's not essential but it
won't hurt anything, which sounds kind of lame. :-)

rday

                        http://crashcourse.ca