[yocto] writeup on the mechanics of FILESEXTRAPATHS and bbappend files

Trevor Woerner twoerner at gmail.com
Thu Apr 18 08:08:33 PDT 2013

Sorry if I'm asking a really stupid question, but if so, it means I'm
way off the mark :-)

On Thu, Apr 18, 2013 at 6:23 AM, Gary Thomas <gary at mlbassoc.com> wrote:
> My point, which was totally unclear to me when using this line, was
> that with ':=' ${THISDIR} evaluates to the directory that contains
> the .bbappend file (what you want/need) whereas with '=' it evaluates
> to the directory containing the main .bb file.  Incredibly confusing
> if you miss it...

So it's (sort of like) a matter of timing?

By evaluating THISDIR now (though the use of ':='), we get the
directory we are in when this directive is encountered. Whereas with
'=' it will be evaluated sometime in the future when we are no longer
in THISDIR but rather in SOMEOTHERDIR?