[yocto] writeup on the mechanics of FILESEXTRAPATHS and bbappend files

Robert P. J. Day rpjday at crashcourse.ca
Wed Apr 17 15:30:14 PDT 2013

On Wed, 17 Apr 2013, Trevor Woerner wrote:

> On Wed, Apr 17, 2013 at 11:12 AM, Gary Thomas <gary at mlbassoc.com> wrote:
> > I also think it would be good to point out the use of := in the
> > FILESEXTRAPATHS assignment and why it's important.
>
> Knowing that the := operator will put your directories first

  whoa, i'm not sure i'd phrase it *that* way but i know what you're
getting at.

> is only useful if you also know that the underlying mechanism will
> take the first such files from the given directories it encounters
> :-) What's to say bitbake doesn't look at all the directories/files
> and take the last ones?

  ok, so i should add that it's left-to-right parsing? fair enough.
although i suspect most people would just *assume* that but it's
always better to be explicit.

  at the moment, i'm more interested in egregious errors in my
explanation. again, i don't think FILESEXTRAPATHS is explained in
sufficient detail to prevent newbies from getting confused and into
real trouble.

rday

                        http://crashcourse.ca