[yocto] Why isn't USB MIDI working?

Paul Eggleton paul.eggleton at linux.intel.com
Mon Apr 15 01:33:01 PDT 2013

On Sunday 14 April 2013 15:49:12 Paul D. DeRocco wrote:
> I've built core-image-base-cedartrail-nopvr, which includes ALSA. /dev/snd
> properly contains the devices for my mobo, and /proc/asound/devices lists
> them as well. If I plug in a USB MIDI device (a USB to MIDI converter), I
> see the USB connect message on the console, but no device is added to
> /dev/snd or /proc/asound/devices. Anyone have any idea why? I've tried an
> eMu XMidi1x1, and a cheap generic converter. Both work fine under Ubuntu, on
> the same mobo.

Typically two things are required for a USB device to work - a driver, and an
appropriate udev rule to associate the driver with the device. Do you have USB
midi support enabled in the kernel? If so, is there a udev rule for USB midi
devices? If there isn't, presumably you could just use Ubuntu as a reference
for that.

Cheers,
Paul

--