[yocto] building a rootfs for a mips SEAD-3, and DEFAULTTUNE

Robert P. J. Day rpjday at crashcourse.ca
Wed Apr 10 09:20:44 PDT 2013

  my recent curiosity about MIPS was inspired by a former student
asking what it would take to build a root filesystem for the SEAD-3:

http://www.mips.com/products/development-kits/mips-sead-3/

  he'd already built for the routerstation pro and, according to him,
the fundamental difference is that rs pro defaults to big endian,
while the SEAD-3 is little endian. he already has u-boot and the
kernel, he just wanted to build a corresponding rootfs.

  after a *very* cursory glance at the layers, i suggested that it
looked like all he had to do was set:

  DEFAULTTUNE = "mips32el"

in his local.conf to override the default of "mips32" in the file
tune-mips32.inc.

  i'm quite prepared to be totally wrong about this, so if someone has
a better answer, i'm open to suggestions.

rday

p.s.  i was originally going to suggest the SEAD-3 as the next MIPS
board until he told me it cost $2K. ouch.

                        http://crashcourse.ca